Assessed the condition and designed repairs for the decorative wrought iron balconies and fire escapes. mainly constructed in 1910 when Samuel and Elizabeth Colt’s home, now in the newly established Coltsville National Park, was converted to a retirement home per Elizabeth’s wishes.
Austin House - Site Walls
Completed a full conditions assessment of the reinforced concrete roof/deck slabs, site and retaining walls of the 1930’s home of the former director of the Wadsworth Atheneum. The assessment included both strength and material analyses as well as recommendations and cost estimates for restoration.
Deacon John Grave House
Performed an assessment and report for the long term maintenance plan of this now museum building, one of a small number of seventeenth century structures surviving in our country.
Deep River Historical Society Building
Performed a conditions assessment of the stone masonry façade and interior timber frame o this 1840 structure, including a structural capacity analysis.
Performed the structural portion of a conditions and capital needs assessment for this National Historic Landmark and home of the prominent Connecticut lawyer and politician, Oliver Ellsworth, who served as a drafter of the United States constitution, United States Senator and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. The building was originally constructed in two subsequent phases in 1781-83 and 1789.
Farmhouse at the Mount
Performed the structural engineering component of the conditions assessment for the farmhouse connected to Edith Wharton’s Berkshire estate known as 'The Mount' constructed circa 1908.
First Church Windsor Meetinghouse
Performed a capital needs and conditions assessment of “campus” buildings including the 1794 Meetinghouse, 1805 Pierson House, 1755 Russell House and 1955 Parish House. Performed a subsequent more focused forsensic assessment of the Meetinghouse queen post timber trusses to determine the cause of cracking in the ceiling below.
Indian and Colonial Research Center - Exterior
Performed forensic assessment of cracks in the exterior masonry walls and outlined recommended repairs of the former Mystic Bank building constructed in 1856 .
Scranton Library Campus Buildings
Performed conditions assessment of three campus buildings dated 1855, 1865 and 1920 for the purpose of being renovated as future additions to library programming space, including evaluation for floor loadings.
Trinity College Chapel
Performed a conditions assessment to help identify specific building envelope breaches allowing water into the structure to facilitate Trinity College in prioritizing exterior restoration work. Construction of the Trinity College Chapel, an English-Gothic style structure designed by Philip Hubert Frohman, of Frohman, Robb and Little, was completed in 1932 during the throes of the Great Depression.
Trinity Episcopal Church
Performed historic research and in-field survey to provide a comprehensive exterior envelope conditions assessment, including phased cost estimates and treatment recommendations for structural stabilization repairs and treatment of deferred maintenance of the 1866 historic masonry envelope.
Waterbury Clock Company Buildings
Performed the structural portion of a reuse study to determine the feasibilty of adaptively reusing a block of non-vacant early twentieth century "slow burn" factory buildings.
Loom City Lofts
Performed a structural peer review for the adaptive reuse of the former Roosevelt Mills factory building into a multi-family residential building. Constructed in 1906 using the Kahn System of Reinforced Concrete, this building was among the first in the United States to embrace reinforced concrete technology.
St. Joseph's Cathedral
Performed a structural forensic investigation to determine the cause of falling pieces from the decorative floor-to-ceiling architectural terra cotta screen walls on either side of the altar in the chancel. After identifying the cause of the instability, designs were developed to stabilize the screen walls from future movements. The Cathedral of Saint Joseph was constructed in 1962 in a modern Gothic style with a cast concrete structure and Alabama limestone veneer.
Indian Hill Cemetery Chapel
Performed the structural portion of a comprehensive conditions assessment followed by design and construction for exterior masonry repairs and restoration as well as interior framing repairs. This Gothic Revival style chapel constructed c. 1867 is located on the north slope of “Wune Wahjet”, a sacred site of the indigenous Wangunk tribe renamed Indian Hill in 1850 when the site became a cemetery.
Suffolk County Supreme Courthouse - Exterior Restoration
Designed anchorage for resetting new and existing terra cotta façade pieces as part of a comprehensive and extensive building envelope restoration. This limestone and terra-cotta clad Greek Revival courthouse building was constructed in 1929 following damage to the earlier 1855 and 1881 buildings by fire.
Performed a forensic assessment of the Guastavino tile vaulting in the Library Wing constructed circa 1904 and framing to determine the cause of cracking as part of a restoration project.
Governor Jonathan Trumbull House
Performed a capital needs and conditions assessment in 2014, which has been followed up with annual design and construction projects with the end goal of fully restoring the house museum. This eighteenth century timber frame Georgian home building was home to Governor Jonathan Trumbull, the only Colonial Governor to support the war for independence during the Revolutionary War.
Wadsworth Atheneum - Morgan Building Envelope Repairs
Assisted Engineer of Record with construction administration for the comprehensive exterior envelope restoration of the Morgan Building, constructed circa 1910, including reconstruction of the Tennessee marble parapets. The Wadsworth Atheneum is the oldest public art museum in the United States, built originally in 1844 with four subsequent additions constructed through 1965.
Brooklyn High School of the Arts - Exterior Restoration
Designed anchorage for resetting and repairing damaged exterior marble stone panels on this 1929 structure.
Provided design services for the repair, re-support and weather-proofing of existing precast concrete panels that had shifted due to corroded supporting shelf angles. Located in the Ridgewood Historic District of Springfield, Mulberry House is a 5-story apartment building constructed in the 1960’s.
New York Life Building - Exterior Restoration
Designed anchorage for resetting exterior limestone veneer panels to the structural steel frame and brick back-up as part of a comprehensive exterior restoration of the building. The 40-story sky-scraper, with distinct pyramidal gilded roof, was designed by architect Cass Gilbert in the Gothic Revival style and constructed in 1928.
William Russell House
Perfomed a forensic and conditions assessment for the building, then designed repairs for the timber frame and masonry chimney base and foundation. Master craftsman Timothy Loomis III constructed the building for the Reverend William Russell in 1753, and the house stayed in the Russell family for two hundred years before being purchased by the First Church of Windsor.
Merrell Tavern - Front Porch
Provided design and construction administrative services for the restoration and repair of the two-story timber frame front porch constructed in the 1850's.
199 Allen Place
Designed historically appropriate restoration, repair, safety and code upgrades to the front and rear porches in this college owned property constructed circa 1900. Designed corrections to the roof drainage components to allow water to flow away from the structure.
Trinity on Main
Designed structural reinforcement for the granite bell tower including sock anchor reinforcement of corner turrets and introduction of spring-loaded steel tension frames to restrain lateral movement.
Grace Episcopal Church
Assisted the contractor with design calculations for a new timber frame spire to replace the existing crumbling masonry spire originally constructed in 1880.
Served as the Engineer of Record for a new low-rise housing development comprised of a variety of rental and owned multi-family buildings. The buildings are designed with lumber platform frames and pre-fabricated truss roofs.
Brook Hill Village
As a phase of a sizable development, The Brook Hill Village project included the design and construction of multiple 12-unit multi-family residential buildings. The buildings are designed with lumber platform frames and pre-fabricated truss roofs.
Completed the design and construction administration for this National Register listed former tinstel factory on the Connecticut River. Responsible for the structural design of the 1920 reinforced concrete portion of the building, including concrete repairs and work incidental to the adaptive re-use.
Saxton B. Little Library
Served as the structural engineer of record for a much needed renovation, repair and single-story addition to the historic farmhouse bequeathed to the institution and its 1985 expansion.
Completed the design and construction administration for the adaptive re-use of this National Register listed gold leaf factory complex into small business production and office spaces. The buildings range in age from 1887 to 1948.
Trinity College, Ferris Athletic Center - Systems Upgrades
Designed new structure for various roof top units, assessed roof for future modifications, and designed repairs to water-damaged wall in this collegiate athletic complex.
Trinity College, Life Science Center - Boyer Auditorium Renovation
Designed new mezzanine level to make existing steeply sloped auditorium space into one with a shallower slope. Fast-tracked summer project.
Wadsworth Atheneum - Basement / Art Storage Renovation
Provided the structural design associated with reconfiguring existing basement spaces into an integrated state of the art collection storage space.
Willington Town Hall
Performed a conditions assessment and designed repairs for renovation of the structure into community space. Constructed in 1876, this timber-framed building originally served as the Willington Congregational Church and later as the Town Hall from 1926 to circa 1980.